The Assistant Preparator assists the Senior Preparator and Preparator in all technical aspects of art handling with regard to installation, packing/unpacking, and storage of objects under the direction of the Head Registrar, Conservator, and Curators. He/she assists with the maintenance of the Art Storage areas, Preparator’s Studio and routine maintenance of museum galleries.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists the Senior Preparator and Preparator in all technical aspects of museum standard art handling practices with regard to installation, packing/unpacking and storage of objects under the direction of the Head Registrar, Conservator and Curators.
- Performs detailed work using reasoning and problem solving skills, performing multiple concurrent tasks with constant interruptions.
- Initiates and follows through to completion tasks assigned by Senior Preparator.
- Assists with maintaining the appearance of exhibition space including dusting, cleaning of plexi, paint touch-up, and sweeping, and care and cleaning of exhibit cases, plexi vitrines, and various other miscellaneous exhibition furniture.
- Assists in the maintenance of the Art Storage areas and Preparator’s Studio in coordination with the Senior Preparator and Preparator
- Assists with preparation of exhibition furniture: fabrication, construction, and painting; works on frame build up projects as needed pertaining to outgoing loans or exhibitions
- As assigned, will supervise contract preparators.
- Is able to lift and move objects weighing 50 pounds; and to work at heights over eight feet.
- Maintains and continually increases their level of professional expertise through professional training (workshops) and contact with others in the field.
- With Registrars, maintains storage inventory and location of art objects
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Senior Preparator.
- BA/BFA degree and two to four years museum work experience in the technical aspects of museum standard art handling practices, storage, installation, and packing. The candidate must:
- Be responsible and self-motivated, maintain a professional demeanor, have the ability to work as team member, and be willing to work under direct supervision.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic carpentry skills.
- Be computer literate.
- Have the ability to work unscheduled overtime during periods of installation/de-installation.
Please cover letter, resume, and references to: HR@corcoran.org