Georges Pull was a German-born ceramicist who moved to Paris and established a studio in 1856 for the express purpose of producing Palissy-style wares. Pull reproduced Bernard Palissy’s rustiques figulines but also the Renaissance figural pieces, often called architectonic, of the Fontainebleau and Avon potteries. This plate depicting the Nymph of Fontainebleau is a copy of a 17th-century original, which in turn was copied from a bronze relief by Italian sculptor Benvenuto Cellini. Despite the precision of his copies, forgery was not Pull’s aim. He signed most of his work, often using a stamp of “PULL,” as is found on the reverse of this plate. Pull enjoyed great success with his “Palissyste” creations, and his displays at universal expositions met with critical acclaim.