International Requirements, Graduate

MA Degrees

International students at the Corcoran contribute to and benefit from the richly varied population both on campus and in Washington, D.C., and are encouraged to apply for admission. Small classes and a friendly atmosphere result in an easy exchange of artistic and cultural ideas.

Non-U.S. citizens living abroad are encouraged to contact the Corcoran one year in advance. In addition to all other admission requirements, international candidates must submit the following:

Official Results of the TOEFL Exam
(Test of English as a Foreign Language)
For students whose first language is not English, exam results with a minimum score of 95 on the internet based exam (550 on the written exam) are required.

  • Interior Design, Exhibition Design, New Media Photojournalism, and Art and the Book 95 IBT
  • Art Education 100 IBT

To have TOEFL scores sent directly to the College, please specify the Corcoran's school code of 5705. If you have completed a Bachelor’s degree from a nationally accredited college or university in the United States and have successfully completed at least 42 semester credits in the liberal arts with a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher, you are not required to submit a TOEFL.

Official Transcripts
Certified English translations of all academic records, as well as official copies of all original transcripts in original language are required. Transcripts must also be accompanied by an official credential evaluation.

Affidavit of Support Form
Completed form signed by the person who will be financially responsible for the applicant’s education is required. A signature and stamp/seal of an official notary or legal witness must be on the completed form. The Affidavit of Support form must be returned to the Admissions Office, along with a notarized bank statement showing available funds in U.S. dollars to cover tuition and living expenses for at least one year in the United States. Please note the bank statement must be dated within six (6) months of the semester in which you intend to enroll.

Corcoran Application for I-20 Form
The form is completed by the prospective student and signed by both the student and financial sponsor. For students who are accepted and plan to enroll at the College, the application, along with the Affidavit of Support form and bank statement, is used to issue the I-20 A–B. The I-20 is required to apply for the F-1 full-time study student visa.

Proof of a current valid visa or permanent resident card is required for students who have indicated possession of these items on their application forms.

Photocopy of passport

If you are already in the country, we will require the following items:

  • Photocopy of I-94 card (front & back)
  • Photocopy of Visa Stamp
  • Photocopy of current immigration document (for example the I-20 for F-1 visa holders or the DS 2019 for J-1 visa holders).

If you are currently in the U.S. on a visa other than F-1, please contact the Admissions office to determine what documents you will need to submit.

Apply now!