Weekend docents at the Corcoran Gallery of Art devote time and professional expertise to adult and multi-generation audiences by leading tours through the museum’s permanent collections and special exhibitions. A rigorous training program offers lectures by staff, curators, and specialists. Assigned readings, field trips, and enrichment programs add to the docent experience and contribute to effective communication about our visual heritage.
- Required to attend an initial intensive training program. Sessions will be conducted for several months on specified weekday evenings from 6:30 to 8 p.m., and on a few Saturday mornings
- Must attend continuing education trainings held once a month on a specified Wednesday evening from 6:30 to 8 p.m. from September through July
- Agree to volunteer at the Art Information Desk and give permanent collection and special exhibition tours to walk-in guests and scheduled groups twice a month on weekends and/or Wednesday evenings throughout the full calendar year
- Support the docent council through annual dues
- Expected to volunteer, on a rotating basis, for leadership roles on the docent council
- Assist with special programming events throughout the year